The ideal I’ve set for this blog is a minimum of one post a week. Unfortunately, reality seems to indicate lulls combined with bursts of posts rather than a regular and predictable publishing schedule. The past two weeks have been one of those lulls, so I thought I’d give you a glimpse of what I’m working on right now so that you know that I’m not just being lazy and I have goals set to keep me from being a lazy writer.
Here’s what I’ve been working on in the background:
(1) A short story (“The Cost of Doing Business”) and novella (Shadowgraphy). Both are finished first drafts but need extensive edits and rewriting before I’m ready to share them.
(2) Large-scale editing of the Avar Narn setting. I’m going back and making significant revisions to the world’s history and legendarium, conlangs and other aspects of setting. This, I hope, will put the setting where I want it to be for the long-term. I’ve posted some small things related to this process (my post on modern mythopoeia, for instance) and I imagine that there will be some additional posts on this front soon–mostly to vent my frustrations (constructed languages are difficult and its easy to get analysis paralysis and decide you’ve spent two hours on ultimately fruitless pursuits). I also intend some posts expounding on the Avar Narn setting, eventually to become a setting bible or wiki, I hope.
(3) I’m beginning to outline not one, but two novels:
(A) The first will be the first of a series (I’m currently going to call it the Coin War series)
(B) The second is a standalone novel–the Avarian version of the classic fantasy quest. Many of the characters from the “Siege of Uthcaire” are involved and I’m focused on a more “realistic” version of the lives of fantasy adventurers–less “embrace the wonder” and more “embrace the suck.”
(4) As I often do–particularly when setting building–I’ve been kicking around rules for an Avar Narn Roleplaying Game. I’ve made several attempts at this in the past (none resulting in much I’m happy with), but I’m looking at options for this, so there will likely be some posts as I hash out ideas.
(5) I’ve currently got two theology posts half-written. Will likely complete them soon.
(6) Returning to a rewrite of my first theological book (Children of God: Finding our Place in Creation) is on the horizon, but not yet underway.
I’m currently (slowly and sporadically) reading The Lies of Locke Lamora. I’ll review it when I’ve finished.
(1) I’ve recently finished reading K.M. Weiland’s Structuring Your Novel and have started her Outlining Your Novel. I’ll review both together when I finish the latter.
(2) I’m halfway through a (30+ hour) Great Course called “Great Mythologies of the World.” I’ll have a review/some thoughts about this when I’ve finished.
I hope that this gives you something to look forward to in the near future. I’d like to say that I’m working as fast as I can, but that just doesn’t feel true. I’ll try to work faster.